Tuesday, May 9, 2017

Music Whenever: Gillian Welch and Old Crow Medicine Show "The Weight"


The Band's song "The Weight" has been covered so many times, by so many different artists. This is one of my favorite covers of this classic.




I pulled into Nazareth, I was feeling 'bout half past dead
Just need to find a place where I can lay my head
Hey, mister, can you tell me, where a man might find a bed?
He just grinned and shook my hand, "No" was all he said.

Take a load off Fanny, you take a load for free
Take a load off Fanny, and andand you put the load you put the load right on me

I picked up my bags, I went looking for a place to hide
When I saw old Carmen and the Devil, walking side by side
So I said, "Hey, Carmen, c'mon, let's go downtown"
Well, Carmen said, "You know I gotta go, but my friend can stick around"

You take a load off Fanny, you take a load for free
You take a load off Fanny, and andand you put the load you put the load right on me

Crazy Chester followed me, and he caught me in the fog
He said, "I can fix your rag, if you take Jack, my dog"
I said, "Wait a minute Chester, you know, I'm a peaceful man"
He said, "That's okay, just feed him when you can"

You take a load off Fanny, take a load for free
You take a load off Fanny, and andand you put the load you put the load right on me

Go down, Moses, ain't nothin' that you can say
It's just old Luke, Luke's waiting on the Judgment Day
Well, Luke, my friend, what about young Annalee
He said, "Do me a favor, son, won't you stay, keep Annalee company"

You take a load off Fanny, you take a load for free
You take a load off Fanny, and andand you put the load you put the load right on me

Well catch the cannonball, now to take me on down the line
My bag is sinking low, and I do believe it's time
To get back to Miss Fanny, oh..., you know she's the only one
Who sent me here, with her regards for everyone

Take a load off Fanny, you take a load for free
Take a load off Fanny, and andand you put the load you put the load right on me


From the Earwigoagin archives; another cover of a song from "The Band".

2 comments:

doryman said...

One of my favorites. So much talent on one stage. Some of Gillian's best performances are with other artists.

my2fish said...

great cover version!