Monday, October 29, 2012

Bosham SC Classic Revival 2012

I would also be remiss if I didn't mention that Bosham Sailing Club on Chichester Harbor (U.K.) ran a Classic event this fall that mostly featured the English Classic Racing Dinghies such as Fireflies, old International 14's, Solo's, Merlin Rocket's and National 12's and rarer dinghies such as National 18's, Thames A-Raters, and Tideway's. The event turned out to be very popular with 79 entrants. The Classic Moth, a Shelly design, with the transitional high-aspect ratio Aussie Rig that was adopted in 1969 (unlike the Classic Moths over here that have stuck with the low-aspect pre-1969 rig) won the medium handicap fleet. I have, in my usual style, pilfered some pics.

One of the Classic International 14's competing, this one skippered by Sarah Vaughn, who, I'm guessing, may be the daughter of Tom Vaughn, renowned as the eminent class historian. Hull looks to be a later Kirby design.

Addendum from a readers comment;

"Sarah Vaughan... She crewed for me in that boat at Rickmansworth (where we won the races) after I sailed the POW with her father, Tommy. That was nearly 40 years ago! Beautiful and a great crew, it's great to see her still sailing. Sarah and I became friends and I will never forget Steve Toschi saying that though he won the POW, I had gotten the real prize! How I wish!"



Ian Marshall in his Shelly Classic Moth, designed in the late 1960's.



Launching down the slipway at low tide.



Also a well done video of the event by SailTV.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sarah Vaughan Sarah Vaughan... She crewed for me in that boat at Rickmansworth (where we won the races) after I sailed the POW with her father, Tommy. That was nearly 40 years ago! Beautiful and a great crew, it's great to see her still sailing. Sarah and I became friends and I will never forget Stave Toschi saying that though he won the POW, I had gotten the real prize! How I wish.

Anonymous said...

love the classic Int 14's. Had been looking for one here in Seattle, but now considering building the Hadron - there are a few in this area, and it seems like a great boat for an old diehard dinghy sailor brought up on Moths,Ok's and Merlin Rockets. Thanks for posting, love all the old classic British classes, long may they hold together!

Tweezerman said...

There is a Classic International 14 blog for North America you can view over here.

Rupert said...

I made the 2011 version of this event in my Minisail, but a bad back kept me away from this year's, which was a shame.

Hoping they keep running the event, and looking forward to 2013.

Unknown said...

And Ripping Yarns, K850, a 1965 Kirby 14, was awarded the Concours d'elegance after Simon and I restored her.

Simon has owned her since 1977 and a video of her first sail since 1988 is here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDqtsWihOSQ

It was a fantastic event. Its a great shame the film has disappeared as there were some great clips of her in the heavy weather on the second day