Saturday, August 27, 2011

DC-10 dinghy

Some of you may have noticed that I've been switching up my header photo. The current photo gracing the header of this blog is of a DC-10 sailing dinghy sailing at the Mid-Atlantic Small Craft Festival at St. Michaels.


The same lady owner of the DC-10 has shown up every year I've attended and I've been very impressed with the DC-10 design as a very capable small singlehander for almost anybody. Although the DC-10 was designed specifically to be home built, the DC-10 hasn't achieved any great level of popularity. I have read that it is used as a frostbite dinghy out of Falmouth Massachusetts.

Messing About in Boats magazine wrote about the DC-10 in a 1993 issue, back when I subscribed to MAIB and other boating and sailing mags (I don't subscribe to magazines now because I'm a pack rat and my wife is much happier, and life becomes easier, when I don't leave little piles of magazines in every room of the house). Articles in MAIB cast a wide ranging net over the boating scene and I recommend looking into subscribing if your interest in boating is similarly broad brush.

The one page article on the DC-10 as excerpted from the January 15, 1993 issue of Messing About in Boats...................


The address of the designer, Douglas Cooper, listed in the article is probably not correct and I'm not sure if plans are still offered. I will do some research on the designer

3 comments:

John Summers said...

Snappy looking little boat, the DC 10. I can't resist pointing out that your new header, which is quite nice, also includes a 16-30 at the back right of the photo. I think that's John Allen from last year's Mid-Atlantic Small Craft Festival.

Tweezerman said...

John,

Right you are. There is a 16-30 bombing along in the right background. I'm enjoying your series on building the Fiddlehead canoe over at your blog, "Playing With Boats". What did you use to build your building form? Looks like 1X6 sides. I'm always open for photos that may be good candidates for a header photo, good action, interesting, high resolution that I can crop down.

John Summers said...

This building form is a box made of 5/8" plywood. It's a left-over from another project at the Canoe Museum. The next boat I build will have more conventional 1" x 6" moulds, and I'll build a 2" x 6" strongback for that one where a tongue on each mould will fit between the 2" x 6"s.