Saturday, July 23, 2011

Swedish Archipelago Raid Revisited

Been catching snippets of the Tour de France and I always comes away shaking my head in awe at the athleticism and grittiness of the world's top bicyclists (I'd rank the Volvo Round the World and the Vendee Globe sailing races as, in the own way, just as grueling a sporting competition).

In the sport of small boat sailing, the cats are the one segment of the sport that treasure their multi-day endurance competitions. I've covered the Swedish Archipelago race before but this is another excellent video covering Day 3 and Day 4 of the 2009 Swedish Archipelago race. (Note the pre-dawn start and competitors camping at night!)


Archipelago Raid, Day3&4 from Pure Archipelago on Vimeo.


I have to reiterate what I said in my previous post on the Swedish Archipelago; a five day, multi-stop cat race would be a top notch Olympic event.

No comments: