Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Boatyards

I have friends of mine that enjoy crawling through boatyards looking at boats, all types, from derelict ferro cement hulks to the latest IRC racers. I wouldn't put myself as one of those compulsive boatyard wanderers, though I have a great deal of fun when I've been dragged along. Take a tour of a boatyard with boat nuts like Tom Price, Fran DeFaymoreau, et al, and you will be regaled with stories about this Hunter 37, or that Albion 27 or that non descript 20 footer with 6 inches of growth on the bottom. And then there are the boat owners, usually willing to pause in the midst of refinishing the teak, to tell us who designed and built their odd looking center cockpit, flush decked, cutter rigged 45 footer.

And among boatyards, there is one sub type of boatyard where surprises seem to be stashed in every corner. This is a boatyard in the city. My experiences in Grants Boatyard of City Island, NY will await another post but here is an interesting video of the Goat Yard in Detroit.

No comments: