Wednesday, January 27, 2010

F-bombs and the art of sailboat racing

I curse a lot when I'm sailboat racing. Since I've raced mostly by myself over the last 30 years, my cursing is quiet, inaudible to someone outside the boat, mostly under my breath. The cursing can be explosive and continuous. I curse my stupidity, or curse the fates that put me on the wrong side of the wind. I occasionally curse my poor boat for being so slow, or the stupid weather boat that has me locked into a slow death from a leeward competitor. I curse the slow roll downwind that continues into a capsize, or the radical windshift that sends me into the drink. I curse the bad starts or the starts I'm over early. And so on.....the mistakes are endless, the expletives keep rolling out.

I never curse a fellow competitor, or on the rare occasions I sail a double hander, I never curse the crew; to them I'm exceedingly polite, (well maybe not to the competitor who fouls me with a smile or, worse yet, an air of indifference, but I never curse a competitor even then). Cursing stays onboard; loud enough for me to hear and no one else.

This is why the following YouTube had me laughing.

WARNING! NOTHING DELICATE ABOUT THIS VIDEO. THIS VIDEO IS A COMPENDIUM OF LOUD CURSING DURING DINGHY RACING. THE F-BOMB (AND OTHER NAUGHTY WORDS) IS BLURTED OUT EVERY 2 SECONDS OR SO...... (NSFW)



Australian Cherub sailors..........


Your f$%&@ng using up all my heartbeats!
.

1 comment:

isleofwightlen said...

It sounds pretty @%7*#!@ tame to me !