Monday, August 17, 2009

Woodstock

I didn't go to Woodstock. It was the summer between high school graduation and starting college .... I was still under my parents thumb, still looked like a high school geek and, quite frankly, I don't like big crowds. I have a dim recollection of knowing people who did go and my impression from their anecdotes was it was a chaotic, mind numbing, sleepless, muddy, squalorous; a weed, mesc and LSD saturated party. Most of the quarter million never got close enough to hear the music. Still, when you catch me watching the Woodstock movie, you will see my absorption; for this is my generation, my tribe in all it's colors, and radical righteousness, and hippie zaniness, and Woodstock marks the beginning of a questioning voice I would find later in college.

Two home movies from YouTube;



1 comment:

Tweezerman said...

TBR, thanks for the comment. I wasn't aware of the Generation Jones but with age has come some skepticism of generational politics. With our arrogance in our 20's, there was a surety that we would issue in the Age of Aquarius. But our generation has given the world Bill Clinton and George W Bush. Nothing demonstrates the schizoid nature of the Boomers than the continuation of the anti-war/pro-war fractious split during the Swiftboat fiasco of Kerry's presidential run.